Les Azuriales Opera focuses on finding truly outstanding young artists and making a significant difference to their early operatic careers. We have an excellent track record of identifying and encouraging talented young singers and others involved in opera and song, through our various programmes and scholarships. Our definition of “Young Artists” includes singers, composers and other people involved in the production of opera, To support our activities we need to raise £50,000 every year.
To achieve our aim, our activities include:
- An annual masterclass and singing competition in the South of France at the end of August;
- An annual London showcase concert usually in February;
- Other week long programmes for young artists in the South of France;
- Other masterclasses conducted by renowned singers;
• Holding rigorous selection auditions conducted by experienced opera performers and musicians;
• Encouraging the creation of new work for the voice;
• Awarding scholarships and bursaries to help young artists with specific projects which will make a significant difference to their careers;
• Providing young artists with performance opportunities;
• Helping others organise masterclasses and competitions for young artists;
• Providing accommodation for young artists, especially in London, to allow them to start their performance careers.
Our first initiative in helping young artists was in 2002. Since then we have built a reputation for finding talented young people. Our achievements include:
• We have auditioned about 1,000 artists, all of whom receive feedback from our eminent audition panels - feedback being an important Les Azuriales principle.
• Our masterclasses and juries have attracted distinguished performers: Sally Burgess MBE, Peter Coleman-Wright, Michele Crider and Dennis O’Neill CBE.
• A number of our artists have been winners or finalists of major competitions, including the Montserrat Caballé Prize, the Kathleen Ferrier Awards and Cardiff Singer of the World.
• Six singers have joined the Royal Opera House’s Jette Parker Young Artists programme, some solely because of our introduction.
• We have supported the world premiere of a song cycle and the production team of Opera North’s 2012 award winning production of Don Giovanni;
• Our singers have appeared at the Royal Opera House, Opera Holland Park and the Wigmore Hall as well as in other opera houses and festivals around the world, including Tasmania!
We raise the £50,000 needed to run our activities every year through:
• Our Company of Angels (our private donor scheme) – another important Les Azuriales principle is that our donors are able to engage with our Young Artists as much as possible.
• Corporate sponsorship - Our longstanding relationships have included generous support form Credit Suisse, Ozone HR, Rothschild Private Management and Barclays Private Wealth.
• A small number of opera performances in the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild (Cap Ferrat, France)
This concert is now sold out. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to be added to the waiting list.
Join us for an evening of songs and arias featuring the winners and runners-up of the 14th Les Azuriales Opera International Singing Competition held in Nice in 2014. Doors open at 7pm and concert starts at 7.30pm at 49 Queen's Gate Terrace, London SW7.